Long Story Universe
|Reproduction||Sexual; gives live birth|
|Distinctive Features||Head, arms, and tail do not move when body rolls|
|“Orls, nicknamed rolypolies by man, are a strange species of mammalianoid. They are spherical in shape, and move by rolling; yet when they do so their head, arms and tail do not move along with the body, remaining in place. How this is achieved is unknown.”|
|—Vacotor Database description, Terran translation|
Orls are roly-poly mammalianoids who roll along in grassy fields, foraging peacefully. It is not known how, but their heads, paws, and tail appear to remain in the same location as the rest of the body appears to roll. There may be an unseen reason behind this, but if there is, it has yet to be uncovered.
- Nicknames: Rolypoly
- Species Type: Warm-blooded Terrestrial Vertebrate
- Lifestyle: Social Mammalian
- Hunt/Forage Success Rate: 100% Forage (60% success rate)
- Defenses: Orls have relatively thick fur (thicker during the colder months) that can deter predators or prevent them from biting into them entirely, and also have slightly rubbery skin, that also helps deter foes. Young are camouflaged amongst the parents' fur.
- Weapons: Not a particularly vicious beast, Orls pretty much are forced to rely on their teeth to attack their targets.
- Tools: The forelimbs (which are in fact the only limbs) are rather dexterous, and they can carry objects between their paws.
- Method of Eating: Unspecified
- Reproductive Rate: Unspecified
- Gestation: Orl young gestate for 3 months before being born. Young are covered in short, fuzzy fluff to camouflage them amongst their parents' bodily fur. They instinctually cling to their mother and father's fur immediately after birthing to keep the family on the move.
- Number of Offspring: Each coupling may produce anywhere between 1 and 5 pups.
- Offspring Survival Rate (before age of maturity): 70% -- Orls are quite protective of their young, which will often ride on their parents' tails or cling to their coats. Even so, keeping their young close by is not always enough to keep them safe, and sometimes fatalities in youth do occur; however, most survive into adulthood.
- Singular/Plural: Orl / Orls
- The Orl are a creature that was created back on December 19th, 2004, when the image was created, and while not initially created for Spore, it seemed like an interesting candidate to be placed here.